English Language Courses in Oxford
Our General English and Intensive English courses are designed to help students make rapid progress in English and focus on the four key language skills – reading, writing, listening and speaking – with lots of additional work on vocabulary, grammar and pronunciation.
In Oxford the courses are 15, 20 or 30 Academic Hours per week
*Academic hours: Each academic hour = 50 minutes class time
Our Academic team continually reviews the syllabus to ensure our lessons are fresh, modern and relevant to today’s international topics. In class we use the most recent up-to-date editions of textbooks by leading British academic publishers, while our teachers are experienced and very highly-qualified, and include PhD-holders from Oxford and Harvard universities.
There are progress tests for all students every two weeks, enabling our teachers to closely monitor learning and to guide and support each student more effectively. There are also fortnightly tutorials, during which individual learning targets are discussed and reviewed.
Every year students from more than 70 different countries join our General English courses, so you'll be in good company. Our students make lifelong friends from all over the world, learn about other cultures, receive invitations to visit countries they’ve never been to before and, best of all, get lots of practice in listening and speaking English!
Students can join our school on any Monday, and can study as long as they wish. Our courses are structured so that new students slot in seamlessly, immediately taking their places in the class and participating in class activities with their new classmates.
Some students study for as little as one week, some for one year or more. It simply depends on the student and his/her needs.
We are sure whatever your English language needs are we can help you reach your goals.
Minimum Age: The minimum age for students in Oxford is 16 years. Most students are aged 18-25 years but we welcome and also have mature students.
Our general English lessons provide 15 to 20 Academic hours of study and are suitable for all students looking to improve their English.INTENSIVE COURSES
Focusing on the development of your reading, writing, speaking and listening abilities, allowing you to speak English with confidence improving your grammar and making pronunciations more natural.
With experienced teachers and goal orientated classes we ensure that progress in your language skills are made, providing you with the confidence to communicate in English.
With our General English and Intensive English courses, students are fully submerged into the learning experience, providing 30 academic hours of study a week, these courses are designed to take lower intermediate and advanced students to the next level of their English language journey.
Focusing on all aspects of the language, including grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, speaking, listening, reading and writing. Students will be set real world challenges to help develop and provide context to their learning.
BUSINESS ENGLISH and PROFESSIONAL COURSES
These specialised courses offer Business English, English for Medicine, English for Law, English for Engineering and English for Nursing and are available by arrangement. The specialised courses offer 25 hours per week which includes the Morning 15 lessons and 5 hours of tutorials and 7.5 hours self-guided study.IELTS PREPARATION COURSES
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is an examination test measuring your English ability within academic contexts. Success in the examination will enable students to apply for university places in the UK and other countries, as well as showing prospective employers your English language skills.
The primary features of the IELTS course are:
Authentic test practice, using past papers and test materials from internationally-recognised publishers and writers.
- Work on the grammar, vocabulary and other areas of the language which are important both for the IELTS test and for studying in an English-speaking environment.
- Promoting confidence in our students to use the language to the best of their ability with the aim of succeeding in the IELTS test.
Please contact us for dates of IELTS Preparation Courses and IELTS examination dates.
Please find below a link to the IELTS websiteInternational English Language Testing System (IELTS)
CAMBRIDGE EXAM COURSES
The Cambridge Examinations are made up of the First Certificate in English (FCE), Cambridge Advanced Examination (CAE) and the Cambridge Proficiency Examination (CPE).
First Certificate in English (FCE)
- FCE: An upper intermediate level examination - ideal if you can deal confidently with a range of written and spoken communications.
- Recognised by many universities and other educational institutions as proof of intermediate level English skills, the FCE certificate is an important benefit for anyone who wants to work or study abroad, or in international business.
- FCE is designed for students whose command of English is adequate for many practical everyday purposes. Students will possess a wide grasp of vocabulary, and should be able to construct an argument and use appropriate communication styles for a variety of situations. However, students may have trouble with some unacquainted subject areas, and lack control over longer, more complex conversations
Cambridge Advanced Examination (CAE)
- CAE: An advanced exam - if you can communicate with confidence in English for work or study purposes, this is the exam for you.
- Typical learners are able to use the language easily and fluently, and are aware of the relationship between language and culture, and of the significance of register. With the ability to adapt language to context and situations, using English in a creative and flexible way. However students may still have trouble in some particularly complex situations, and responding to multiple sources of information on unfamiliar topics.
Cambridge Proficiency Examination (CPE)
- CPE: A very advanced level exam – the highest qualification in the main-suite of Cambridge ESOL General English examinations.
- CPE is for students who hold a high level of language skills and are able to function effectively in almost any English-speaking context. Students will have a grasp of English similar to that of an educated native speaker. The main focus of a course is therefore on lexical and pragmatic features, rather than grammatical features of the language
- CPE certificates are recognised by higher education institutions in many countries -including almost all universities in the United Kingdom and a rapidly growing number in the USA, as well as a wide range of employers.
Please find links to the Cambridge websitesTOEFL PREPARATION COURSE
The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) examination takes place at our school in Oxford. Our TOEFL students therefore have their lessons in the same area and have practice tests in the same computer suite where they will take the test at the end of the course.
We have unique knowledge of the TOEFL test and the demands it makes on students. Our TOEFL Preparation course is designed to meet these demands, using the years of experience we have gained by working with the candidates preparing for the TOEFL Test. We have an excellent record of helping students reach their goals and in attaining their desired results.
The composition of the TOEFL Preparation Course is:
- 15 hours General English per week.
- Computer-based study and exam practice with detailed teacher feedback.
- Intensive time with a specialist tutor; tutors will use the computer-based exam practice to design a course that is specific to their needs.
Please find a link to the TOFEL websitesTest of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)